There are many great Bible verses about guidance in decision making. Before I began following Jesus, I made decisions based on how I felt, and what I thought was right. I often sought advice from friends and went with popular opinions. At the time, I didn’t know there were bible verses about guidance in decision making.
But when Jesus gave me new life in Him, I began reading the Bible and realized I was living foolishly. I desperately wanted to walk in wisdom, so I started consulting God before making decisions, and asked the Lord for help with applying the truth He was teaching me.
Jesus radically transformed my life with His word!
What the Bible Says About Decision Making
When we are seeking guidance in decision-making, what you and I are looking for is discernment. In this age of deception, discernment is an urgent need for everyone.
Discernment is basically the ability to determine right from wrong, good from evil, and truth from error. It’s what tells us who/what to flee from and who/what to follow; what to cast away or what to choose.
In fact, discernment is what Solomon requested of the Lord right after he became the king. 1Kings 3:5-15 tells that story. The Lord came to him in a dream and asked Solomon what he wanted from Him. Solomon asked the Lord to give him “an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?”
He knew the task at hand was too much for him to handle. And he wanted to live up to his father, David’s, legacy of love and loyalty to the Lord. But Solomon saw himself as lacking when compared to his dad. So he turned to the One who holds all wisdom and knowledge for help.
As a result, King Solomon became the wisest man to ever live, with a peaceful reign and a legendary kingdom.
The point? We need to be like Solomon and ask the Lord for discernment in making decisions.
20 Bible Verses About Guidance in Decision Making
Good judgment pertains to the head and the heart, and guides the feet on the right path. Without it, we’re like sheep that wander from the shepherd and end up a miserable mess, stuck in a pit.
When we have discernment, we walk worthy of the Lord who bought us with His blood, and bring glory to His name.
Just as the sheep with the shepherd, we need to look to Jesus, listen for His voice, and follow His lead.
God Will Guide You on the Right Path Scriptures
- Psalm 16:11 KJV – Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. KJV
- Psalm 25:8-9 KJV – Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way. The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
- Psalm 32:8 KJV – I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.
- Isaiah 30:21 KJV – And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.
- Isaiah 48:17 KJV – Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.
God shows us the path we should take, teaches us, and guides us every step of the way!
Don’t Take Bad Advice
There is a common misconception these days, that if you follow your heart, your life will turn out fabulous. That’s bad advice. Jeremiah 17:9 says that the heart is “deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked.”
Why in the world would we allow our depraved flesh to guide us?
God is omniscient, meaning He is all-knowing. Therefore, He is the perfect source for discernment in decision-making. Instead of looking within to solve our problems or make decisions, we should lift our eyes to the Savior, and trust that His ways are best.
We need to be vigilant to guard our hearts and get rid of pride and selfish ambition that so often direct our steps.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV – Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 4:23-27 KJV – Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Put away from thee a forward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee. Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
Ask For and Walk in His Ways
When it comes down to making decisions about direction for your life, ask the Lord, and then read His word for answers. That’s where God primarily speaks to us. He will also guide us by giving us wise counselors that speak truth into our lives.
In addition to the word and wise counselors, the Lord uses sermons, and circumstances to direct us. It’s in our human nature to want answers immediately, but God has his own timetable, and it’s perfect, so we need to be patient and wait for Him to give us scriptures that speak to our situation.
God does give us signs and open/closed doors as well, but the bible verses that pop out and point the way will be the life vest that holds you up when the storms of life are raging, and the devil tries to drown you with doubt.
- Proverbs 4:10-13 KJV – Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many. I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths. When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble. Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
- Jeremiah 6:16 KJV – Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
- Matthew 11:29 KJV – Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
- James 1:5 KJV – If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
When we let the Bible determine our choices, we get a peaceful assurance, knowing that we are in the center of God’s will for our lives.
Consulting God Before Making Decisions
From these Bible verses about guidance in decision making, we can see that if we want to make the right choices, then we need to pray and seek the Lord for His wisdom.
His word is chock-full of wise counsel and direction for making tough decisions. We just have to choose to open it up, soak it in, and walk it out.
When we look to Him to direct our steps, He lights the way we should go, and helps us live a life that glorifies Him.
We can boil every choice down to bare bones and see that it’s a decision between God’s way and ours. Will we surrender to God’s will and ways, or rebel and reap the consequences?
If you have a difficult decision to make today, I hope you turn to Jesus for help. He will lead you if you let Him!
Related Posts and Resources:
- Bible Studies for Women
- 34 Beautiful Psalms of Comfort
- Meaning of Psalm 2
- Bible Verses About Prayer and Fasting
Meet the Author:
Annie McGuire is the writer behind Daily His Disciple, where she encourages women to walk in the wisdom of God’s word daily. As a Bible teacher, ministry leader, and writer, Annie equips women to know, live, and invest the word of God. She is a regular contributor to Pray With Confidence, a website designed to help busy women overcome prayer obstacles. Annie is also a pastor’s wife, mom of four fabulous kids, and grandma to two sweet babies.