My Granny would have been 91 today. She passed last year right after her 90th birthday. She lived a good, long life. She got to see the birth of all four of my children. She served the Lord well. I know she is in heaven. But, it still hurts. I still miss her. Thankfully, God’s word gives me the comfort I need on days like this. I hope these Bible verses for grief and loss comfort you as well.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for more details.
What the Bible Says About Sorrow and Grief
The Bible says that Jesus was “ a man of sorrow and acquainted with grief.” (Isaiah 53:3 NKJV) Jesus understands our suffering and pain. He himself experienced trials, sorrows, and losses of family and friends while on this earth.
And for this very reason, we are encouraged to come to Him in our time of need: “For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:15-16 NKJV)
I encourage you, friend, read these verses, take comfort in the Lord, and cry out to Jesus. He wants to comfort you. He wants to heal your heart and He wants to give you hope for the future.
Bible Verses for Grief and Loss
This list is by no means is exhaustive but here are 20 scriptures straight from God’s word to provide the strength and hope you can lean on when grief seems to take over and make you feel weak and helpless.
Bible Verses for Grieving Family
The death of a loved one feels like robbery. There is nothing that can emotionally prepare us for a loss. And with every loss, there will be grief. Everyone grieves differently and there is no expiration on the hurt. So, however fresh your or long your grief, these scriptures are for your consolation.
- The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalms 34:18 NIV
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Matthew 5:4 NIV
- Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy. Psalm 126:5-6 NIV
- Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 NIV
- Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:51-57 NIV
Bible Verses for Unexpected Death
The sudden death of a loved one with no warning, like in the case of a loss of a child or an accident, can turn our worlds upside down. It’s during these times, that we need something solid, an anchor. Thankfully, God is our Rock and Fortress.
- God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Psalm 46:1-3 NIV
- The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:2 NIV
- From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. Psalm 61:2 NIV
- Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint; heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in deep anguish. How long, Lord, how long? Turn, Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love. Psalm 6:2-4 NIV
- For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 2 Corinthians 1:5 NIV
Bible Verses for Comfort and Strength
I am so thankful that we have a “God of all comfort.” The Bible says our loving Father is so good to comfort, support, and provide strength in our time of need. Let these verses reassure of those promises.
- Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 NIV
- He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:29 NIV
- My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26 NIV
- Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
- When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy. Psalm 94:18-19 NIV
Bible Verses for Hope
The Bible tells us to “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” (Romans 12:12 NIV) It’s hard when our hearts are broken and we feel stuck to be patient and joyful. But, God’s word assures us that His hope does not disappoint and He works all out for good. Keep faithfully reading, trusting, and praying.
- And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 NIV
- He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. Revelation 21:4 NIV
- Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NIV
- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13 NIV
- I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Romans 8:18 NIV
A Prayer for Those Who are Grieving
Heavenly Father, I praise you that you are a very present help in time of trouble. Right now, my heart is broken. I feel a loss so deeply that my emotional pain is physically hurting. I need your comfort, your peace, your strength, and your hope. May your words of life encourage and lift me up. Deliver me from this pain of losing such a special part of my life. Help me to use these Bible verses to comfort others experiencing loss and grief. Thank you Jesus that you understand my suffering and that you are present with me. Fill my aching heart with your joy. Amen.
Related Posts and Resources:
Meet the Author:
Arrica is a follower of Jesus, church planting wife, and a homeschooling mom of 4. Her passion is discipling women, especially other moms. She writes at A Child Shall Lead Them and prays she can help other Mommas find joy in their motherhood while serving their Savior and pointing their children to Jesus