You have maybe heard the concept of the 5 Love Languages. The book by Gary Chapman was extremely popular a few years ago. This is a great resource to help you find some ways to show love to your husband.
If you haven’t, I would encourage you to check it out.
Every person feels and communicates love in one of five ways:
- Words of Affirmation
- Quality Time
- Physical Touch
- Receiving Gifts
- Acts of Service
Many people have more than one, but Chapman’s theory suggests that there is one primary language that a person leans towards.
If you’re not sure what your love language is, take this quiz and it will tell you! Don’t worry, it’s not one of those cheesy Facebook quizzes that tells you which 80’s song best describes your life or which of your friends is most likely to get arrested.
When I was first told about this concept I admit, I was skeptical. Now, after being married a few years I’m convinced that understanding my husband’s love language and learning to express it has been vital to supporting the health of our relationship.
My husband and I try to remember that how we individually feel loved is often the same way we instinctively speak it.
My husband’s love language is physical touch – mine is not. Yet I am learning to recognize those moments he expresses physical touch to me as him speaking love in his natural language.
My love language is words of affirmation – his is not. He also is learning to recognize this as my natural language of expressing love to him.
We have come to understand that we need to be intentional in showing love according to the other’s language. But we also want to be intentional in looking for those times the other is expressing love according to their language – and choose to also accept these moments as expressions of affection too.
I believe that the nurture and consistent tending of our marriage is one of the greatest ways we can serve our Lord.
Think about this…
Healthy marriages are the foundation of healthy families. Healthy families are an important foundation to a strong, united and effective church. An effective church is a foundation of the advancement of God’s Kingdom.
This is why the enemy loves attacking marriages. They are, in many ways, at the source of accomplishing much of the work God is performing in and through us.
Some great ideas on how you can speak love to your spouse according to their language.
I hope what this does is inspire you to consider ways you can intentionally show love to your husband. I hope it inspires you to regularly tend and cultivate your marriage and do your part to keep it strong for Him.
Simple Ways to Show Love To Your Husband
Words of Affirmation
- Say ‘thank you’ for all the hard work they do – either in the home or at their job.
- Say ‘thank you’ for some simple, daily thing they do for you.
- Compliment them on something they do well – in front of others!
- Have you seen an area of maturity or growth in their life? Affirm and confirm it by telling them that you notice.
- Put your phone, iPad or computer away and spend an entire, undistracted evening together.
- Take him on a date to his favorite restaurant.
- Spend some time together doing something he likes to do.
- Ask him questions to spark meaningful conversation.
- Grab his hand and hold on as you walk down the grocery store aisle.
- Put your arm around him as you’re sitting together in church.
- Offer to give him a massage.
- Gently place your hand on his shoulder or back as a sign of affection.
- Come home with concert tickets to his favorite band or game tickets for his favorite team.
- Surprise him at work with a drink from their favorite coffee shop.
- Make a playlist of his favorite songs on his phone.
- Instead of buying something for a birthday or holiday, make him something.
Acts of Service
- Ask what you can do to help him!!
- Is there a certain chore around the house that is their responsibility? Do it for him.
- Clean out and vacuum his car.
- Get the kids up, dressed and fed while he sleeps in.
How About You?
What are some ways that you show love to your husband?
Leave me a comment and add your ideas!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure for more details.